ArizonaK5.com

• September 02, 2014, 07:03:26 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: chevy vega roller w title  (Read 1100 times)

RANDY70

• Site Supporter
  • Major General
  • needs to camp and wheel!!!
chevy vega roller w title
« on: June 13, 2012, 08:46:34 AM »

looking for a decent vega rolling chassis in trade for my sig sauer 9mm handgun(brand new) and a few other items i have. doesnt need to run or be roadworhty. just looking for a dragcar builder. 71-77 body. hatchback  not a notch  car. thanks guys n gals. 623-742-8166 call or text for info on the gun and what else i have for the trade.

72 Blazer

• Master Gunnery Sergeant
Re: chevy vega roller w title
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 11:18:07 AM »

Where were you in 07 when I scrapped 4 of them and sold 2 more?   ;D  Used to use them as daily drivers and weekend track cars.

If you find what you are looking for I can hook you up with factory V8 Monza swap parts, which makes putting a V8 in the vega's a breeze.

There is a nice 71 vega running around here I've bugging the owner about

RANDY70

• Site Supporter
  • Major General
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 11:22:26 AM »

damn it man! lol gna do a 5.3 ls turbo and glide. dont need much for old school small block stuff. just a clean,cheap roller. w title!

RANDY70

• Site Supporter
  • Major General
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 09:05:37 AM »

nothing guys and girls?! keep ur eyes open for me please? ;D

Z

• The Few The Proud
  • Administrator
  • General
  • I Got Parts, What Do You Need? 480-369-2897
    • Arizona k5 club
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 05:54:10 PM »

had a 74 notch back vega with title about a year ago sold it for $250!
" I'm what you might call The founder of the feast"

RANDY70

• Site Supporter
  • Major General
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 11:45:28 AM »

hatchback

Agent Orange

• Site Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • walkin a fine line between redneck and white trash
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 04:34:32 PM »

I found your car!!! looks great from the road. i'll stop tomorrow and get more info. black n gold is all i know right now.
Some guys think that if they have a cool truck they are better than other guys,... and those guys are right!

If we have data, lets look at data. If all we have are opinions, lets go with mine.

RANDY70

• Site Supporter
  • Major General
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 08:24:28 AM »

sweet. let me know. too bad im not in NY.

72 Blazer

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 09:57:37 AM »

I found your car!!! looks great from the road. i'll stop tomorrow and get more info. black n gold is all i know right now.

Sounds like a Cosworth.

RANDY70

• Site Supporter
  • Major General
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 10:49:28 AM »

actually see more cosworths than reg vegas anymore. people hated them for years, now all of a sudden they think they have a gold mine! might give up on finding a cheap one. rediculous! :P

72 Blazer

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 02:41:04 PM »

Well the Cosworth's are going to be more money, they've actually become quite collectable over the last 8-10 years.  Very unique car.  May as well stay away from those if you want cheap.

Even the 71-73 vegas are going to be more expensive than 74 and up.  Simply because the 71-73 are the more desirable body style, after that most people consider them ugly.  Any Vega worth it's own weight (meaning a good solid foundation to work with) is going to bring some coin now.  Very popular bracket car for some people, and the ones that weren't taken off the street were run into the ground, everything East of the Mississippi rusted to a pile of dust.

I've had about 8-10 of these things over the years.  20 years ago they were cheap to buy, so I'd come out here, buy a rust free one, take it back East and use it as my daily driver until the salt ate it to death.  I'd pull the drivetrain, come back out here and buy another, take it back East and drive it until the salt ate it away,,,,,see a pattern here?  ;D
  I had collected them for quite some time and even had a few left before I moved out here.  I even had a few Monza Spyders which is the same H-body platform that came out in 1975.

Finding one now isn't hard,,,,finding one cheap is.....you would be better off finding one mostly complete and pay more for it, and then hope the interior is in good shape, because nothing is reproduced.  That's where looking for one out here is going to bite you.  Might be rust free but the interior will likely be scorched.  Putting a basket case together will likely cost more than paying for a decent roller that is already there.

I used to have extra seats that were very nice, extra consoles, a couple of dash pads and more door panels than I could count.  Good stuff to have.  So unless you plan to go completely custom and hand made, it will pay to find one with nice interior intact.

Look around enough, and if you are willing to travel,  you'll eventually find what you are looking for.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 02:42:56 PM by 72 Blazer »

RANDY70

• Site Supporter
  • Major General
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 07:35:15 AM »

ty 72. some good info. ive owned a couple. neat little cars. just want a roller for a drag car build.

72 Blazer

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 10:23:32 AM »

I know where a couple of beauty's are sitting back East.  One is a 72 that I had a chance to purchase many years ago (been sitting in a garage since late 70's)  and it was done in classic 70's style with red/white/blue american flag paint scheme over the entire car, (stars and stripes etc...) and is actually very good looking if you are into the vintage type thing. Still a very nice car.  Was converted to V8 very early in it's life by Don Hardy complete with a 12 bolt rear,  so it has some history.  Be a shame to change anything on this one.

I passed on buying the car because the owner couldn't come up with the title, (said he has lost it).  I didn't want to go through the red tape aquiring another title.  I passed it to a friend of mine and he bought it.  It's still sitting there untouched.

I also know of another one that's had a V8 in it since the 70's and it's also sitting idle.  These things were popular and all over the place back in Ohio during the 70's up through the mid 80's.  Not sure if that craze ever occured out here in AZ or not.  I never see them at the local cruises or even at bigger events like Goodguys.

There is one lone 72 vega hatchback cruising the streets up here in Prescott.  A bone stocker that an older fella drives around.  Complete and solid.  I've been bugging him for a couple years when I see him, but nothing yet.  I have all the parts here to convert 3-4 of these things including a couple of 12 bolts.   I wouldn't mind making another daily driver.

RANDY70

• Site Supporter
  • Major General
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 12:16:34 PM »

nice! wish i had a one of those 12 bolts you have!

RANDY70

• Site Supporter
  • Major General
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 12:20:24 PM »

i love this one.

72 Blazer

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 02:22:34 PM »

Yeah, good lookin little cars.  I ran cragars on mine all the time but those drag lites look good too.

I only had 2 complaints from those cars. I always ran muncie 4 speeds in them, and the clutch cables would fray and snap after a year or two (daily drivers).  Easy to change (I always kept a spare in the car after I got stranded the first time  ;D)  They weren't designed for big clutches I guess.

The other complaint was those (what I call) dial a shim bushings on the lower control arms to set front end alignment.  On quite a few of those cars there wasn't enough adjustment to get the alignment just perfect, and front tire wear was sometimes an issue.  Seemed to be more of a problem on the cars that I used S-10 spindles on with adapter sleeves for the balljoints (for 5 lug conversion and bigger brakes).

Otherwise, great little cars, fun daily drivers, and with the hatch and the back seat folded down, there was room to haul stuff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up